Thursday, July 24, 2008

Show time!

Tonight is my last night at home.

This is very weird, because I've lived in Indiana for eight years--the longest I've ever lived in one place, by far. How ironic that, just when I stay put for a decent amount of time and build a sense of long-term familiarity, I choose to up and leave--to a place halfway across the planet, no less! Goodbye land of cornfields and Olive Garden, hello land of the rising sun!

Tomorrow Ma 'n Pa are driving me to Chicago for pre-departure orientation, which includes a training/brainwashing session in the afternoon, followed by an early dinner at a sit-down reception. This all goes down at a hotel, so while I'm seeing to my professional obligations in the discomforts of a tie and other biz-cas garb, my parents'll probably loaf in bed with their room service and watch Monk. Lucky.

We fly out Saturday at noon, and after a grueling 14 hour flight, we touch down at Narita International outside of Tokyo! We'll have three days of more training and orientation, along with several workshops. This sounds vaguely reminiscent of the student journalist convention I went to in high school. I skipped all the "workshops" to wander around the National Mall and eat at Chipotle. Hey, which would you choose: PageMaker Basics or barbacoa burrito bowl? The defense rests.

Anyways, Japan! At last!

I can't wait to explore my new environs: Shinjuku, the imperial gardens, gaming at the local geisen, Mos Burger, 100 yen stores, Shinto shrines, Nara and runaway deer, as well as the beach and Mt. Fuji, both of which are a stone's throw away from my future apartment! And don't forget the food: teriyaki, mochi balls, Kobe beef (!!!), raw fish in all its iterations, crackers shaped like koalas, green tea everywhere I go, rice-y beer, and so much more.

Overstimulating game shows, culture shock like whoa, 2000+ years of history, baseball fever, being a minority, Pokemon theme parks, everyone reading comic books, speaking a new language, festivals that put Three Rivers to shame, drinking parties with co-workers... (Which should be fun, as long as I don't pull an H.W. and ralph all over my boss or something. Bad cultural ambassador.)

Sumo wrestling! Getting lost! Hot springs! Japanese women! Tea ceremonies! Being the tallest person in town!

All starting in... 36 hours.


Hole. Lee. Crap.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Have fun, but come home safe when you've had your fill. We have Koala Yummies here, too, you know.

mezzamoah said...

You are pumped...

Do not deny it...

Look at you! You're BLUSHING...

Very sexy, you are!!

This has been a good-luck-pome from Sam! I hope I have the pleasure of seeing you again!