Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Things I'll miss about home:

1. Access to a veritable bounty of free foodstuffs. Why, just today, I spent a good hour shoveling trail mix, salami, blue cheese-stuffed olives, Triscuits, pickles, Jolly Rancher gummies, homemade tiramisu and a leftover steak fajita into my consenting maw. Quite a contrast to my eating regimen last year at school... amazing how far you can stretch week-old pizza and breadsticks! (Tip: Be sure to keep your cheese dipping sauce--it conceals the wooden taste of staleness!)

2. American TV. Specifically, m'boys Conan, Letterman, McHale, and the other masters of timely humor. Not to mention The Mole, the sole reality program without contrived showmances or horse penis-eating contests. I'll miss my TV, but I'm barely concerned. Japan is known to broadcast some pretty wacky stuff, so I'm sure my boob tube-watching compulsions (as well as my capacity for the bizarre and brightly-colored!) will be satisfied.

3. My video game collection. Okay, honestly, whenever I think of what my prized possession is, my Super Nintendo is the honest answer. Just goes to show how nerdy I am, I guess (in case there was ANY doubt). I don't care. I love it. It was a cornerstone of my childhood. Unfortunately, I'll only be able to bring my handheld DS to Nippon, so I've been playing a lot of Super Nintendo games the past couple of days to make up for it, including EarthBound, one of my personal faves. It's a game whose plot includes piloting a flying saucer, finding a guy's contact lens in the middle of a desert, disbanding a cult that paints everything blue, and fighting a talking pile of vomit that controls a zombie army. I'm glad I have a game that's as weird as I am.

4. Canine companionship. The driveling duo's absence will certainly leave a void in my animal-loving heart, and it kind of weirds me out that Fenway will have doubled in size by the time I see him next. Too bad he can't stay a puppy forever, because he is gosh-darned adorable. He has such a characteristic walk--he looks around as he plods slowly and deliberately, kind of like Rudolph and other four-legged characters in Rankin/Bass stop-motion Christmas specials. Kawaii! Maybe my dad can dress up like Burl Ives's snowman character and sing "Silver and Gold," or act like our house like is the North Pole. "If I live to be 100, our puppy'll still be pissing on the kitchen tile..."

5. Those people I live with. Aww.

No comments: