Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Love Japan: #96

Omikuji (おみくじ)

These are little paper fortunes you get when you visit shrines.




Some are good ("blessings") and others are bad ("curses"). Each comes in varying potencies; for instance, you might get a "great blessing" one day, and the next day, you get a "mini-curse." I think the worst I've ever gotten was "half-curse."

If you get a curse, you tie it to the rack and abandon it, as opposed to taking it home with you. Unless, of course, your mini-curse is in the third trimester. In that case, you must keep it, unless there's a dumpster or Bojangles restroom nearby, in which case you can inconspicuously ditch the omikuji, where it waits helplessly until someone comes to its rescue. Maybe somebody like a lonely janitor with too many cats, or a hooker with a heart of gold. Many frown upon such a practice, however.

No comments: