Japan's National Anthem: "Kimi ga yo" (君が代)
You can learn a lot about a country from its anthem.
This song is indicative of Japanese culture. And although Japan's anthem is controversial--some think it's too reminiscent of World War II, militarism and deifying the Emperor--its subtle and understated quality reflects the humility of the Japanese. Check out the lyrics:
May your reign
Continue for a thousand, eight thousand generations,
Until the pebbles
Grow into boulders
Lush with moss
...now for comparison, listen to this one:
Damn. Talk about night and day. Can I have some more cymbals to go with that hubris?
But, in all seriousness, I think the US has a kick ass anthem. Inspiriting music with meaningful lyrics that aren't corny. I can't say that for all American patriotic songs ('cause God knows we've got plenty). I'm thinking of certain cheese-fests or possible nods to manifest destiny. No wonder other countries think we're so into ourselves...
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment