Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Snack Spotlight: Sapporo Potato!



My pantry--and when I say "pantry," I mean a faux bois shoebox--is a cornucopia of junk food, perennially stocked with Japan's finest fried dehydrates and most sugary nosh. Chemical additives and sodium rule my kitchen like despots from high atop the food pyramid. I know, I know--sorry, Mom! But it's hard to "use sparingly" when the Japanese are crazy for their snacks, and with the ubiquity of convenience stores and vending machines, food manufacturers like Glico practically force-feed their chocolate-enveloped wafers down your throat.

A tater who could pass for Mr. Peanut's chunky cousin, officious-looking with his upwards-pointed finger and hall monitor sash, invites us to chow down on one of Japan's cheapest and most popular snacks! It's Sapporo Potato: crunchy mini-French fries studded with "real vegetable flakes"! Enriched with tomatoes, onions, spinach, pumpkin, carrots, and some unidentifiable herb, Sapporo Potato's bag sports an orange "purasu" sign, announcing itself as a vitamin source to the Japanese consumer's malleable and gimmick-susceptible mind.

Wow. Um, I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this one. Reminds me of KFC's "fried chicken is good for you!" commercials that ran during the Atkins zeitgeist.

They're tasty morsels, but it wouldn't hurt cutting back on my SP intake. Love handles and arterial plaque aren't really fun souvenirs, are they?

No comments: