Friday, September 5, 2008

*cue Whitney Houston*

So after school today, Christina and I wandered over to the soccer field to watch practice.  We were standing about a good ten feet from two boys sitting on the sidelines taking a breather.

Out of nowhere, a player out in the field kicks an errant ball high into the sky and into our direction.  I didn't even feel particularly threatened, because the ball was not coming at me with remarkable speed or force.  I think I even stared at the ball for a while, standing motionless in apathy.

Then, all of a sudden, one of the boys sitting on the sidelines LEAPS in front of me and Christina, deflects the incoming ball with a deliberate swat, and, without a word, goes back to sit next to his friend.

So, basically, the student took something of a bullet for us.

Wow. Either the kid was extremely considerate and quick on his feet, or I experienced a cultural moment: being a foreigner and a teacher garners a ridiculous amount of interest and respect from your students.  My ego is so inflated, it's actually giving me back pains.  Maybe I should look into a reduction?

No comments: