
One of the students hand-made this costume, using material like felt, old T-shirts, and what looked to be a huge oven mitt. The animated aubergine jumped up and down, hugged us and kept rubbing our hands, like it was trying to warm us up. Its creator, a smiley 17-year-old girl, apparently has a thing for the veggie, as she also made a big sign of an eggplant (saying "JOY" in a speech bubble) in multicolored magic marker. What the sign's purpose was, I have no idea, but I loved her enthusiasm. (An eggplant couldn't be the school mascot--then again, I don't put much past Japan these days.)
As the club escorted us to the front door to say goodbye, the principal walked past us, and triggered a fit of embarrassed giggles. Our entire entourage (including the supervising teacher), scurried behind lockers and pillars, squealing, "Kocho-sensei! WAAAAA! Hehehe!"
Maybe he's not a fan of limbed vegetables?

1 comment:
You win best blog, Bryan...
Post a Comment